Gap NZ Home
NZ Essentials

history & culture

amazing facts
everyday info
destination guide

gap year costs
when to go
starter packs
travel insurance
festivals & events

:: IN NZ
on arrival
money and banks
money saving tips
keeping in touch


Gap Year Ideas
Working Holiday
Your Questions

ORDER FREE BROCHURE | about GYTG | contact our team | write for us  

Gap Year New Zealand :: essentials :: new zealand visas

Visas for New Zealand

As a UK citizen there are two main visas you can acquire to travel to NZ; the tourist (or visitor visa) and the Working Holiday Visa.

:: New Zealand Working Holiday Visa

The Working Holiday Visa allows UK citizens to work and travel around New Zealand for up to two years. So, as a gapper, it means you can use the visa to pick up casual work as you travel around. Most backpackers find work in bars and hostels or doing jobs such as fruit picking or office temp work. Have a look in our working holiday section for more details. There are a number of requirements for this visa. You must:

- Be between 18 and 30 years of age
- Be able to show you have access to sufficient funds to support yourself ( The New Zealand High Commission currently requires evidence of access to NZ$4200 plus airfare)
- Not have any dependent children
- Have not been on a working holiday to New Zealand before

For more details see the Immigration website at

:: New Zealand Visitor Visa

As a UK citizen you are allowed a six month tourist visa on arrival in New Zealand. You do not need to apply for this in advance, just turn up in NZ and you will receive it in the airport. You must have enough funds for the time you wish to stay in NZ and in some cases this visa can be extended. For full details and updates check out the official government site at .

OUR TIP: If you are not planning on working in NZ and only wish to travel around for a short period of time then choose the visitor visa. You only get one working holiday visa in your lifetime so don't waste it!



  Popular Pages: Gap Year Jobs | Working Holiday Visa | Gap Year Companies | Recruitment Agencies © Gap Year Travel Guide 2008